I was listening to the indian radio yesterday and there was a commercial for a company called Vonage World. Now Indian people often confuse their "v" and "w" sounds...so Vonage World ends up sounding like Wonage Vorld! I don't know why I thought this was hilarious...probably because when I first came to America from India...I suffered from the same "VW Bug"..heh!
I had several traumatizingly embarrassing incidents in this regard. Once I was talking to a boy I liked about the movie Wayne's World and ended up saying Vayne's Vorld instead! Needless to say the boy did not end up being my Prince Charming and I am positive its all due to the Vayne's Vorld faux pas!
On another glorious occasion, I was reading the role of Juror No. 10 from Twelve Angry Men in my 10th grade English class and my soliloquy included saying with great passion "Violent!" Of course I said it as "Wiolent" and the whole class erupted in "wiolent" laughter, much to my confusion!
I am thankful to say that after almost 20 years of living in America, I have generally mastered the "v" and "w" problem with only the occasional slip!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment